- About Us
- MAIN DISHES
- More Recipes
- More Butter Please
ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY FOR A $100 AMAZON GIFT CARD!
Friday, July 20, 2012
HOLIDAY BAKING: HOMEMADE CARAMELS
If you've never made caramel before, don't be afraid, it's actually really easy. You just need the ingredients, a large sauce pan and a candy thermometer. Well, a candy thermometer isn't required, but it's certainly very handy!
Here is the recipe I used this year:
- 2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Stir in vanilla. Transfer mixture to a greased 12x15 pan and let the mixture cool completely. When cooled cut the caramel into small squares and wrap them in wax paper for storage.
A couple tips on making caramels:
- Line your pan with foil, then spray the foil. Taking the caramel block out of the pan is a breeze after it's cooled!
- Don't feel like you have to stir the mixture continuously. it's OK to let it boil for a few minutes in between periods of stirring. I did the morning dishes while mine cooked!
- When cutting the caramels, err on the side of smaller pieces, especially if you have small children. My kids love caramel, but I find sizes much larger than a penny are too big.