STRAWBERRY VALENTINE CHEX MIX

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread
Valentines Day is coming up and I’m so excited to share this quick, easy recipe for Strawberry Chex Mix. It makes quite a bit so it’s perfect for class parties or even neighbor gifts. You must have some seriously rockin’ neighbors if you’re handing out treats for Valentines Day…
The base recipe is just 3 ingredients, then feel free to add whatever Valentines candy, sprinkles, food coloring, etc. My daughter decided to help me decorate these treats and within 5 minutes it looked like Cupid threw up in my kitchen. Awesome. Feel free to make them as obnoxiously pink as you want!
Strawberry Valentines Chex Mix
  • 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 1 bag of white chocolate baking chips {12 oz}
  • 1 box of Strawberry Creme Jell-O Pudding** {make sure you use pudding!! Gelatin does not have the same effect, trust me!}
  • Valentines M&M’s, sprinkles, food coloring- whatever you’d like to make them more festive!

** If you’re having a hard time finding Strawberry Creme pudding mix, feel free to substitute Banana Creme, coconut Creme, Cheesecake, or really any other flavor pudding you want! Just remember to use pudding as opposed to Jell-O! If you’re dying to do the Strawberry Creme and can’t find it at any store near you, you can purchase it online from Amazon! Or have a friend in another area send you a box…or come here to Utah to shop, my store had a zillion…

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Measure out 6 cups of Chex into a large bowl.

Dump white chocolate chips into a glass dish. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir gently.

Return to the microwave and melt for an additional 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave another 30 seconds and even though the chips still hold their shape, once you stir it, you’ll see that they are in fact melted!

You can add about 1-2 tsp of shortening to the chips and it will help the consistency be slightly thinner and smoother. It’s easier to cover the cereal when you use a little shortening, however it’s optional.

Note: Microwave times will vary. I have a 1500 watt microwave, so this is what worked for me. If your microwave is less powerful, you will have to increase the times. Go slowly. You don’t want to seize the chocolate. In my experience, the chocolate is always done before I think it is. If it’s nearly melted, just let it sit on the counter for a minute or two and stir again- chances are the heat from the mixture itself is enough to melt the chips the rest of the way.

Add 4 TBSP of the strawberry creme pudding into the white chocolate and stir gently until smooth. You can also add a bit of food coloring if you’d like. Since you added the pudding, it tastes like strawberry, but it doesn’t actually add any color.

I opted to divide mine, making most of it pink, but leaving some white.

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread
Dump the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal and stir gently until the cereal is coated in chocolate.
Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Add any Valentines candy, sprinkles, etc. Use caution when inviting 6 year old girls to assist… things can get out of hand very quickly… 😉

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Lay out on pieces of wax paper to cool and solidify. I found the M&M’s looked better if you sprinkled them on top, once the mixture is laid out to cool. The candy sticks to the Chex cereal but it doesn’t get coated so you can still see the colors.

ENJOY!

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix: Butter with a Side of Bread

Recipe linked to:

Mandy’s Recipe Box  // Skip to My Lou // Six Sisters Stuff //  The Girl Creative  //  A Thrifty Mom
Funky Polka Dot Giraffe  //  Our Thrifty Ideas  //  SNAP the Conference  // Creations by Kara
Southern Lovely // The Dedicated House // Love Bakes Good Cakes // The 36th Avenue // Delightful Order

Comments

Every Christmas I make a huge batch of Chex mix using my friend Rita's recipe… maybe I should surprise her with some of this mix for Valentine's Day?? Thanks for the recipe!!

We make this for every holiday..adjusting the colors..Halloween is monster munch ..Christmas is elf munch..vdau cupid munch…and. we add broken up pretzel sticks for the salty sweet…..luv…luv

This looks so yummy! I hope I can find that strawberry pudding mix! Thanks so much for linking up at Creations by Kara. I'm featuring this tomorrow. :)

I have looked in three different grocery store for the strawberry pudding. Any suggestions? I don&#39;t care to spend over $2 a box plus shipping online.Thanks!<br />Melissa

• says

I discovered using the crockpot to melt chocolate. I put mine on low and it takes like half hour or so but so worth it. It comes out perfectly melted and so easy to coat things.

I&#39;ve made lots of Chex mix, but never with pudding added–I&#39;m looking forward to trying this! I stocked up on the Candy Cane pudding flavor when it was reduced after Christmas, now I&#39;m intrigued by all the Chex mix possibilities of using different pudding flavors. Thank you for sharing!! :) –Fran

I just made it today. It is very yummy. My chocolate didn&#39;t get very thin so it didn&#39;t cover the chex mix completely like yours. So mine isn&#39;t as pretty though. I found the strawberry pudding only at Walmart. What&#39;s your trick to not having the chocolate get thick and unusable when adding coloring to it? I&#39;ve never had good luck with that. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ive been waiting 2 months to make this recipe! I finally made it and it turned out sooo tasty.. I could not find the strawberry pudding so I used strawberry flavoring that you use to mix in vanilla icing to make strawberry icing. Found it in the store next to the icing, in a little packet! Will definitely be making this again. Thank you for sharing:o)

I couldn&#39;t find strawberry pudding, so I used some strawberry Nesquik syrup and it worked just fine! Just an idea in case you can&#39;t find the pudding! :) Thanks for sharing it turned out super cute

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with this recipe incase anyone can&#39;t find strawberry pudding mix like I couldn&#39;t.<br />I used strawberry jello mix and even with your warnings, it turned out incredible!! In my opinion, the jello mixed with the white chocolate after hardening, was more of a yummy strawberry candy coating! And it was delicious! We are giving it out for Valentine&#39

Made it and everyone really loves it… especially the grandchildren! I managed a batch and a half from one package of pudding. my grand daughter really liked the red cookie sugar I sprinkled while the &quot;stuff&quot; was still wet.

my chocolate &quot;seized&quot; up after adding the pudding–I started over without it and it was a big hit-Just not strawberry–y!<br />It&#39;s still a fun, darling little treat!

I&#39;m going to make this with cheesecake and/or oreo pudding tomorrow for valentine&#39;s day. I can&#39;t wait to try it. I always add a little butter when melting chocolate, it gives the chocolate a very creamy texture and makes it easier for coating things like strawberries or chex mix :)

I added the pudding and everything was completely ruined turned to the consistency of cookie dough! I have to make another trip to the store and I&#39;m not happy about that… did they mean to say teaspoons instead of table???

• says

@Chelsea- unfortunately, it sounds like your chocolate siezed. :( I&#39;ve done that many times. Did you see my note above? You have to melt the chocolate slowly, then stir gently when adding the pudding mix. As a safeguard, if you&#39;d like to add 2 TBSP of shortening to your chocolate, then melt it together, it helps it to not seize. I&#39;m sorry your treat didn&#39;t turn out. <br /><br />

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a
    difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something
    completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but